Girls Golf enjoys experiences at state

John Ostermann, Sports Writer

The girls golf team was flowing with emotion as they prepared to go to the state golf tournament. The girls had their stomachs filled with excitement and butterflies as they left for their practice round at the Country Club of Leawood early Sunday morning. After they arrived, the girls were able to play their practice round adjusting to the course and preparing for the tournament the next day.

“The practice round is always helpful, you get to find your way around the course and figure out the best place to put your shots,” junior Delaney Wisdom said. “It also helps you figure out the highs and lows on the greens.”

Along with the practice round on Sunday, the girls had plenty of laughs and had lots of time together. They spent time in their hotel room listening to music, sharing dance tips and finally finished the night off with a dinner at Jack Stack Barbeque.

“One of my favorite parts was just hanging out with the team and enjoying all the experiences.” sophomore Camy McAtee said. “It was especially fun to go back to our hotel rooms and listen to my fire playlist,”

When the team woke up Monday morning, the girls knew it was time to get down to business and go out and play their best. The team had some struggles throughout the day although they were able to finish in fifth place, just one spot behind their finish last year.

“We didn’t necessarily play bad as a team, but obviously not quite good enough to bring home a trophy,” head coach Chris George said. “The ball just didn’t bounce our way today.”

Junior Macie Myers played the best for the team shooting an eighty-two which was good enough to secure her the third place medal.

“When [Myers] finally got in the groove on the back half, which is much more challenging than the front, she looked as good as she has all year,” George said. “That’s quite an accomplishment given the windy conditions, a challenging course, and the big stage of the state tournament.”

With the state tournament finished, the girls golf team’s season is finished as well. It is a season that they can be proud of but it also leaves plenty of room for improvement and, as the team has no seniors, all the girls will be back next year looking to improve in every way possible.