Students compete at state weightlifting

Savannah Cherms and Jacob Clanton

For some students who take weight classes, it might just be a way to stay in shape or to get a physical education credit. For others it is their life, and some students take it so seriously it is even grounds for competition.

Wichita Southeast hosted the 6A weightlifting competition for Kansas schools on March 4. Several Manhattan High students were in attendance and even placed at the competition.

“It was great,” junior Caleb Payne said. “It was good for me to push myself. I squatted the most I’ve ever squatted. There were placings, I got second overall in my weight class. It’s just to push yourself and compare yourself to your weight class in the state.”

While many Manhattan High rivals were also competing, competitors said that the usual strain between teams was absent at this competition.

“For lifting meets all the rivalry and tension between schools like Junction City really isn’t there,” senior Kevin Kim said. “We are all just friendly and there to compete with each other.”

Kim finished the meet setting a state record in hang-clean. Junior Reece Wewer also set a state record in hang-clean in a different weight class.

Many of the lifters got into competitive weightlifting as a result of football.

“In football, we always try to get stronger,” Wewer said, “and so everyday we lift in class, and then after school we get a lift in. It’s just another opportunity for us to compete since we’re not in a sport right now. It’s just an opportunity that Coach [Joe Schartz] gave us to go get better as an athlete.”

The meet allowed the athletes to compare themselves to others from around the state.

“I got to see where I’m at right now compared to other athletes in Kansas,” Kim said, “and it’s cool to see other people and compete with other people.”

The weightlifters compete in bench, squat and hang clean. They have three chances to lift as much as they can. There are no reps. Instead, it is one chance to lift as much as possible.

Though Manhattan’s team was mostly made of football players, the competition is not limited to student-athletes.

“Anyone can go to the meet and anyone can sign up,” Wewer said. “[You] just sign up in the weightroom and stuff.”

The meet itself only lasted one day. However, preparation for weightlifting meets happens everyday.

“The prep is everyday before you go,” Wewer said. “You got to eat right, you got to lift right, and just got to be focused when you go.”