AP Spanish students prepare for exam

Nina Kumle, Staff Writer

April 10 marks the last month of preparation for those taking the Advanced Placement Spanish Literature Exam.

For seniors Brandon Cook, Ben Brokesh, Tony Liu and Saubhagya Shrestha, this is the end of several months of work for the upcoming AP Spanish Literature exam. They have been preparing for this exam since the beginning of the year meeting to study after school and on weekends.

The four seniors have been taking Spanish since eighth grade. Most of them had the idea in mind that it would be an enjoyable class. Brokesh, however, had been signed up for only one quarter of Spanish while in eighth grade, but instead, the scheduling system made an error and enrolled him for the whole year. That led to him to take Spanish throughout the rest of high school. Now he also plans to get a minor degree by taking further post secondary classes.

“I mean Spanish can always help,” Brokesh said. “It depends what I end up doing, like if I go into industry of something, working with people from different places, Spanish can help, so that’s kind of the idea.”

Shrestha, along with others who took Spanish, realize that learning a new language can be very discouraging, but reading and listening to movies are some of the small things that helped them better understand the language. While most of the seniors are in agreement that the class has taken a lot of hard work and that learning a new language is not an easy task, there are some aspects of it that are simple for these seniors.

“The easiest part of Spanish I think was like probably reading it I think would be the easiest since when you’re reading it you can go at your own pace and you can really analyze what your doing verses when your speaking it kind of goes by fast,” Shrestha said.

Last year, the students took Advanced Placement Spanish Language Culture Liu explains that the previous class focused on speaking  Spanish it self, whereas this year in Advanced Placement Spanish literature, they have worked more on analyzing the literature.

This is the time where they can show off what they have learned  from the past five years to the Spanish language.

The seniors will be taking the exam on May 10, leaving the four with one month to prepare for the test.