Students use music to help focus, memorize facts

Meredith Comas, Staff Writer

Finals are fast approaching, and with it is the inevitable time of seclusion for students everywhere: study time. It’s not uncommon for students to listen to music while studying and while some argue it’s better to listen to classical genres to increase focus, others will argue in favor of the more fast pace vibes of modern pop, punk or rap to help absorb the topic. It’s study time, grab some headphones.  

Senior Audra Weber

Q: Do you listen to music while studying?

Sometimes, depends what I’m studying and how hard I need to focus

Q: What genre do you feel is the most effective in getting students to focus on their studying? Why?

Songs you don’t know the words to or don’t have any words because then you can’t be distracted by the lyrics.

Q: What genre or musical artist is your go-to when studying? Why?

I don’t really have one, it just varies based off my mood

Q: Do you feel that listening to music improves how you study? Does it positively or negatively affect your grades?

Not necessarily, I think it helps to make studying more enjoyable though

Q: Does the music ever actually distract you from actually getting studying done?

yes, especially when I know the lyrics

Q: Would you ever consider studying without music? Why or why not?

Yes, I think it could help you stay concentrated and engaged on the task you’re on

Senior David Fliter

That’s the way that I can study, is with music playing

Fast aggressive style music gets in my head, it’s kind of frantic so it makes me absorb things faster.

Metal music actually, Killswitch Engage, they’re fast and aggressive

Honestly I feel like I negatively affects them because I focus on the music more than I focus on studying

Often. Sometimes I spend more time choosing a song than actually studying.

I only study without music when I know it’s something I have to do really really well on.

Q: Do you want to add to any of your previous statements?

I know a lot of teachers don’t see the point in it. I think even though in some situations it can be a distraction, without music people’s minds can drift a lot easier.