Taking a look behind the gavel: Q&A with student council seniors

Sophia Comas, Features Editor

Lily Colburn

Student Body President

What are your hopes for next year’s StuCo?

“I hope they provide more activities for students and increase involvement in those activities. When it comes down to it though, I’m not sure my hopes mean much. More importantly, I hope next year’s StuCo accomplishes the goals set by the incoming student body officers. Whatever they may be, next year should be based on their hopes, not mine.”

What are you going to miss the most about StuCo?

“I’m going to miss all of the people. Some of my best friends I met through Student Council. I love spending time with all of the talented, driven and hardworking members and advisors.”

How has being a part of StuCo affected your high school life?

“I have no idea what my life would be like if I hadn’t participated in StuCo. From friendships to events to various opportunities, Student Council has tested me in ways I could have never imagined, which has helped me grow into who I am today.”

What advice do you have for next year’s student body?

“If I could give one piece of advice to the new student body officers, I would tell them to stand up for themselves and their ideas. Throughout this year, I was nervous about sharing my thoughts on activities because I thought no one would care. I hope they communicate their goals with StuCo, students and faculty.”

Neely Joyce

Student Body Vice President

“I hope that next year’s Student Council members really work together to get things that the students want accomplished for our school. I hope that they can continue to build upon the base that this year’s Student Council has set in things like Mr. MHS and the blood drive.”

“Being a part of StuCo has allowed me the opportunity to be involved in many activities in the school and have a say into how they were run. I had the ability to feel pride in the school events that I helped organize and put on. Furthermore, Student Council has allowed me to meet many new people through StuCo Camp and all the clubs and organizations we partner with.”

“Communication is key. Also, that this is a big responsibility and so be prepared for late nights and crazy days. Even though people may not realize everything that Student Council has a hand in, what you do is important.”

What has been your favorite part of StuCo?

“My favorite part of StuCo was definitely just the bond that I created with my fellow Student Council officers. They are some of my best friends and it has been such an honor to be able to be on Student Council with them. Also, prom decorations were super cool. I definitely enjoyed making those.”

What are you going to miss the most?

“I’m going to miss the people and of course the lovely Leslie Campbell.”

Victoria Bedros

Student Body Secretary

“I hope that they can carry out some of the ideas and plans that we all came up with and ass their own twist to the event they have.”

How has being a StuCo member affected your high school life?

“It helped me put a lot of different things in perspective. It also showed me a different side of the school and where we can all choose to be supportive of each other.”

What are you going to miss the most?

“I will definitely miss our brainstorming sessions because I loved hearing people’s ideas and it was always a really fun time.”