Girls Basketball

Girls basketball gets warmed up for season

Girls basketball came close to making history in back-to-back years as they nearly claimed two state championships in a row.

The team won the State Championship in 2017 and got edged out in the quarterfinals by their league rivals, Washburn Rural (40-53). In order to have another successful season, the team is preparing as early as possible.

“We have made it a priority to get in the gym at least three days a week and have conditioning after school,” senior Haleigh Harper said. “Our expectations are to work hard every day and be good teammates throughout the season.”  

Harper is one of four returning Varsity players. The returners include seniors Taylor Johnson, Kia Wilson and Garrin Williams. The team is also filling the gaps left by graduated seniors.

“I think that the seniors had a really big crucial part in our team. I think that every team has to move and keep going on even after seniors leave,” Wilson said. “We know what we have to do in order to get where we want to go and if we use our leadership opportunities that we have we can fill those gaps.”

Last year’s seniors, including current K-State women’s basketball player Chrissy Carr, are responsible for 49 percent of the team’s total points last year.

The team faces its first challenge as they will participate in the Hays Shootout on Dec. 1.

The Mentor • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Mentor Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *