Lauren Race

The senior/sophomore powderpuff team huddles before the game chanting to get themselves ready.

Powderpuff ends in tie

October 3, 2017

For one night, including the weeks of practice leading up to it all, the girls of our school switch places with our football boys, becoming the football players while the boys either change into the cheerleaders, coaches or sit in the stands.

PowderPuff is a great way to step out of your comfort zone and step into an athlete’s shoes. The game may only be played with flags, but it is still full of new opportunities and experiences that may not be in some girls’ normal lives. With their competitive side coming out, the girls are able to take the game seriously and try their best to beat the other team.

“I think it was a good experience so I will probably do it again, and it was just really fun to be with all my friends. My highlight for the game for me was getting a flag,” Reagan Geisbrecht, freshman, said.

You can join the teams at any year in high school and most girls who do it find it fun and want to do it again.

“It’s my first year,” Jordan Stegeman, sophomore, said. “I liked it alot I thought it was really fun and a good way to connect with girls that I didn’t know.”

Every class gets the opportunity to participate in the game itself and mingle with the other classes along the way. The teams are the sophomores and seniors playing against the juniors and freshman. The senior class went into the game expecting a win because the class of 2018 PowderPuff girls have never lost. This left the freshman/junior team feeling a little intimidated when they had to face their undefeated opponent. When the freshman/junior team unexpectedly scored first, they gained all the confidence that they needed to put up a fight against the undefeated team.

“At the beginning when the seniors started I was thinking, ‘Oh my gosh we’re going to lose,’ but then when we got a touchdown I was thinking we’re going to win,” Geisbrecht said.

They quickly shifted into second gear and started being more aggressive and confident in their skills. With both teams being more aggressive some injuries happened along the way. Senior Julia Zeak tore her ACL and junior Maeve Tanona broke her wrist.

Both teams were hungry for a win. The seniors didn’t want to lose and the juniors wanted to be the ones who finally ended that streak, and both came out to play. At the end of regulation time the game was tied 18-18. Neither team wanted to end in a tie, so with the help of the fans they were able to convince the administration to give them five minutes of overtime. By the end of the extra five minutes, neither team scored and PowderPuff 2017 ended in a tie. Both teams were disappointed and wished the game could’ve ended differently.

“If we had more time [in overtime] we definitely would have scored,” Stegeman said.

The Mentor • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Mentor Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *