Seaman student accused of threatening others for lewd photos

Manhattan High isn’t the only area school dealing with cases of this nature. Seaman High, a Centennial League member, currently has a male student under investigation for obtaining nude photos of females and using those photos to harass and intimidate those students online.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reported that the Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office opened an investigation into the allegations last month. Seaman Unified School District 345 superintendent Steve Noble confirmed the allegation to the Capital-Journal and the Kansas City Star.

“We are involved in an ongoing investigation,” Noble told the Capital-Journal. “When allegations are brought forth that are severe and represent negative behavior, we take all of those allegations seriously. This particular instance is no different.”

According to the Capital-Journal, students at Seaman believe the student has, or has attempted to obtain, nude photos of 50 to 100 females at the school. The students believe he began collecting photos while at Seaman Middle School, using fake social media accounts to intimidate females.

A report was filed with the sheriff’s office in late September by the district’s director of security. At the same time, a report was filed with the Kansas Department of Children and Families.

The Capital-Journal reported that the investigation was closed in late October because of a lack of evidence. New evidence emerged in January, reopening the investigation.

Undersheriff Phil Blume told the Capital-Journal the investigation now includes four or five females who are potential victims. Three of the victims have declined to cooperate in fear of their parents learning of the nude photos, Blume said.

“We’ve learned that victims often wish to remain silent out of fear of retaliation by other students, personal embarrassment and/or shame,” Noble said in a letter to the Seaman community. “We must encourage victims to continue to come forward. We are here for them and want to help them, not judge them. We must hold students accountable for their poor choices to coerce other students into sending nude photos online.”

As of publication, no arrests or charges have been made.

The Mentor • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in