Monty+Enright

Monty Enright

After 37 years of teaching, industrial arts and tech teacher Monty Enright is wrapping up his last year in the classroom. One thing is certain, Enright has managed to make an impact wherever he teaches, whether that be at various high schools throughout Kansas, or even the 16 years he spent at Manhattan Area Technical College.

“Mr. Enright’s teaching style is very relaxed which allows us to be creative with our assignments,” senior Taylor Ruckert said. “[He] does a good job of adapting to each of the subjects he teaches.”

Enright graduated with a degree from Fort Hays State University and is currently teaching Drafting and Woods. Although the subjects he teaches have fluctuated some throughout the years, they always remained under the industrial arts category.

“My favorite part about this class is being able to use my creativity through all my projects,” Ruckert said.

Enright does not regret much, although he wishes he could’ve obtained his Master’s degree.

“I would’ve gotten my Masters, which I never have gotten,” Enright said. “When I started teaching computer-edited drafting, the hours I needed was to get better at that curriculum and so I never finished my Masters.”

In 37 years of teaching the industrials arts, there have been many changes, especially in the areas of technology and computers. His motivation, and what he will miss most, is what has remained constant in his many years of teaching.

“Kids,” Enright said. “Working with young kids, they keep you young.”

Although he will miss teaching, Enright is ready for some more free time to pour into what really matters. He hopes to be able to use this time to not only travel, but also to spend more time with his kids.

Enright would also specifically like to thank Greg Hoyt and USD 383 for allowing him to come back and teach at Manhattan High School after being gone for 16 years while he was teaching at MATC.

“I always thought I would come back,” Enright said.  

Thinking of the new generation of teachers, Enright recognizes that it is a difficult time to be a teacher, but fully believes that it will only get better from here and has some advice to give those who wish to take up this task.

“Don’t be afraid to admit you don’t know everything, cause you won’t,” Enright said. “And don’t be afraid to make mistakes, cause you will. That’s how you learn.”

The Mentor • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in