MHS homecoming royalty crowned

Aloera Ostermann, Staff Writer

During halftime of the Varsity football game many students got to be announced as the top candidates for homecoming queen and king. Each couple came up with their own handshakes ranging from back handsprings to remaking handshakes from the television show “Zack and Cody.”

Students were nominated by the sport or school function they represent. During advisory, juniors were voted in as honorees and seniors voted upon for king and queen candidates to be crowned at halftime of the Varsity football game.

“You know it’s worth it,” junior Morgan Day, band representative, said. “It was just pretty humbling to think that everyone chose me.”

The junior and senior candidates get dressed up for the game and walk the field upon the announcement of their names during halftime. Some stand to the sides and watch while the seniors get announced and others get to stand at the front of the line to hold anything from roses to shoes while the seniors do their signature handshakes.

When the juniors are done it’s time for the seniors to shine. They head down to the field with about eight minutes left before halftime and begin to take pictures and this year, to try and prepare themselves to walk in the cold. Many of the girls sported blankets and sweats prior to being announced to walk on the field. As soon as the boys cleared the field the candidates headed to the 50-yard line.

This year’s candidates had fun with creating their own signature handshake for the introductions.

“It’s just a good group of girls and guys,” senior Camryn McAtee, golf representative, said. “We’re just having fun with it. There should be a lot of fun handshakes so that’s what really matters.”

For candidates who are football players, their partner chooses a boy to stand-in for them during the crowning.

“Since the guys are in the locker room at halftime the girls have to pick their escort and [senior] Analiese Jones chose me,” senior K.J. Williams said.

After introductions, senior Kia Wilson, volleyball representative, was crowned queen.

“It’s incredible,” Wilson said. “I’m so honored.”

She was even more surprised to win since she wasn’t an honoree last year, which made the whole experience something very new for her.

“Knowing what to do and where to go and all that stuff was new this year,” Wilson said.

Jaylynn Liggons, football representative, was announced king but since he was in the locker room senior Dylan Haar came up and accepted the crown for him. Haar quickly began flaunting the crown and plaque which clearly had Liggons’s name on it. He was a stand-in for Liggons and planned on basking in every second of fame he could get. He took pictures with Wilson and a number of other people while wearing the crown and sash.

“I did pretend to be Jaylynn,” Haar said. “It was really fun so I just want to thank him a lot.”

He even considered keeping the crown but Liggons’s top-notch performance at the game made

Haar eventually decides otherwise.

“I’m keeping it, nah, I’ll give it to him,” Haar said. “He has two touchdowns so I kind of have to give it to him.”

While Liggons heard the news of his success at halftime he stayed focused on the game.

“[Junior] Isiah Childs let me know,” Liggons said. “I was just worried about the game trying to get this dub.”

Even though Liggons didn’t think too much about it during the game he was still excited to be king.

“It’s a great title, I love it,” Liggons said. “I just want to thank everyone for voting for me.”

As soon as his post-game talk was over he came out and got pictures with Wilson who had to wait all game in the cold and the rain for her rightful king to stand at her side for a photo. Nonetheless, both students were equally honored and surprised to be crowned fall homecoming king and queen.