Season’s Greetings

Winter sports begin season kickoffs

Varsity Boys Basketball

Cole Schmitt, Staff Writer

Varsity basketball will start their competition season in two and a half weeks, and players and coaches are starting to get mentally prepared. “We’re very excited,” head coach Benji George said. “We’ve got a lot of good players so we’re excited for the opportunity to compete in the league.” On Nov. 29, the team will travel to Hays to compete in the Hays shootout. The competition consists of e...

Wrestling

Kamryn Bussmann, Staff Writer

With the wrestling team ending the year last year at third place during, state they are ready to come back better than ever. “This year we have some great guys coming in and a new coach that will help us do good,” junior Daron Island-Jones said. The wrestling team lost some key components last year, including last year’s senior Jalin Harper, who got second individually in his weight class. Keep...

Boys Swim and Dive

The boys swim team is starting their season soon and the captains and head coach Alex Brown have goals set to make this season a great one. “My biggest expectation is just seeing everyone really come together as a team,” Brown said. “Close team, everybody matters, working hard and meeting goals is my four things.” In addition to being part of the team, some of the teammates are focusing on being ...

Bowling

Brianna Carmack, Opinions Editor

Fall sports have come to an end and winter sports are making their way to take over. Bowling being one of those sports will begin their tryouts on Nov. 27-29. “I hope to improve on my scores, hopefully until at least an average of 200 or more,” senior Michael Moran said. Moran has been bowling for just over six years now along with it being his fourth year in high school bowling. He has g...

Girls Basketball

Micheal Simmons, Blue M Editor-In-Chief

Girls basketball came close to making history in back-to-back years as they nearly claimed two state championships in a row. The team won the State Championship in 2017 and got edged out in the quarterfinals by their league rivals, Washburn Rural (40-53). In order to have another successful season, the team is preparing as early as possible. “We have made it a priority to get in the gym at lea...

Intramurals

Aloera Ostermann, Staff Writer

As basketball season comes up for many high school students, some get ready for a different kind of basketball: intramurals. Intramurals are a fun way for anyone to play basketball. The games are only played on half of the court and with three players at a time for each team. Both boys and girls can have teams but they do not play each other. There is even a tournament at the end to figure out w...

The Mentor • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in