FFA takes on Abilene for district competition

Kamryn Bussmann, Staff Writer

Ten students from Manhattan High drove to Abilene to compete in Food Science and Agriculture Communications Career Development Events (CDE’s) for their district competition.

Seniors Elise Jackson, Ayden Boyles, juniors Payton Day, Jacoby Kerr, Lauren Walradt sophomores Chanae Parker, Tessarae Harris, Aaliyah Parks, freshmans Corrine Withroder and Erika Boyer were along for the ride accompanied by Elissa Mullinix.

“There were multiple competitions,” Jackson said. “We had a food science competition and an agriculture communication competition.”

In the food science portion, there was a written test, math test and a consumer test that members had to partake in. The participants had practicums where they were given five or six aromas and had to tell what the aromas were. They also read complaints from consumers about different products and had to decide if the complaint was related to food safety or food quality issues. In addition they had to tell the difference between different kinds of crackers, ranch and pickles. The team as a whole placed second in the Food Science competition and Jackson got second individually as well.

For the Agriculture Communication competition members listened and took notes during a speaker presentation.

“It’s like a press conference,” Jackson said. “They give you this speech and you have to take dedicated notes.”

There was also a written test in this section that covered communication skills and computer topics. This is a team event  instead of individual where there were four practicums and four members partaking in the competition. One person made a website about what they heard, while another person makes a video script and the other two write an editorial or wrote a press release. The team had an hour to make whatever they were assigned to make, and many groups finished early.

“I think that’s what most people did. The competition ended really early,” Jackson said.

The team got fourth while Jackson got tenth and Parker got ninth individually.