Forensics heads to National Qualifiers hopeful

Meredith Comas, Online Editor-in-Chief

Manhattan High forensics has returned with victories from the Blue Valley Southwest Invitational, taking home two more state qualifications for a total of 20 and now holding three national qualifications. According to head coach Mac Phrommany, the trip was intended to help the team find a wider range of competition before the National Qualifying Tournament on April 13 and State Tournament May 4.

“Blue Valley ran a smooth tourney for the most part and it’s always a pleasure to compete in the KC area,” sophomore Kailitri “KJ” Jones said.

Jones was one of two students to state qualify at Blue Valley. This is his second qualification in Impromptu Speaking this season.

Pools are usually moderately sized so knowing that you broke and are about to place is the most exciting part,” Jones said. “It just gives me more incentive to go back and compete again.”

Jones was joined by sophomore Crysteen Brown, who placed first in preliminary rounds with an almost perfect score. Brown is Manhattan’s 20th state qualification, making the team’s goal of 20 state qualifications officially met.

“For me it was kind of funny because I wasn’t really trying at this tournament,” Brown said. “It was more of just me drawing topics and just saying what I wanted to say in rounds because the judge had to listen to me and it ended up working out in my favor, and I ended up qualifying and I wasn’t expecting to.”

Other successes come from junior Trinity Brockman, who finished in Program of Oral Interpretation at fourth place and freshman Sam Delong, who took third place in International Extemporaneous Speaking.

The team continues on to National Qualifiers next, the most intense week for the team yet according to Phrommany. According to Jones, the team is hopeful for success.

It’s a big tournament and it’s the most important for a lot of people,” Jones said. “I think we have the ability to do well.”