Band camp practices for upcoming football season

Rachel Edie, Business Manager

While most of the school was sleeping and getting ready for a new school year, the marching band was busy practicing to perfect their routines. 

Band camp took place from July 29 to Aug. 2 and lasted all day. The day was split up into parts. In the morning, they marched and learned how to cohesively move on the football field. The band then went for a quick lunch break before splitting up in their specific sections. Woodwind, brass and percussion all moved to different practice rooms and worked through the music in order to memorize it. After the sections had adequately practiced, they once again met as a whole to rehearse their pieces and work out anything that needs some tweaking.

“This year, the trombone section had a lunch together and got to know each other, bond and talk about goals for the year and it was one of my favorite parts of camp,” Morgan Day, senior, said.

A change this year were the uniforms. The marching band has been increasing in size each year and this year, the size has finally caught up and consequently affected the uniforms. 

In previous years the band has needed under 200 uniforms so they only had around 175 to 195 in total. That changed when they had over 250 students sign up for band in the upcoming school year. 

“I definitely like the uniforms this year better than last year because they seem more comfortable,” Bentley Murrel, sophomore, said.

The band performs at every football game and has many other performances throughout the year at pep rallies and other occasions.