Homecoming proved eventful

Andrew Adams

Seniors Kira Schartz and Will Bannister stand arm-in-arm as they display their Homecoming crowns. The two were crowned at the football game on Sept. 20 ad MHS took on Seaman High.

Sophia Comas, Online Editor-in-Chief

The varied results of Manhattan High’s Spirit Week did not disappoint as nearly 1,800 students flocked through the doors dressed in an array of themed outfits to celebrate the week of Homecoming.

“I think the themes help students get involved,” Tribe president Kira Schartz, senior, said. “Also, the posters are a good way to communicate what’s going on.”

Each theme for the day was inspired by the overall theme of the dance, which was “Don’t Stop the Music.” To keep in style with the concept of music, each day was themed using song titles such as “Mr. Brightside” and “Party in the U.S.A.”

While the themes themselves were relatively tame, the organization behind them was stressful for the members of Tribe. The planning and executing created minor challenges throughout the week along with the organization behind events like the pep rally and PowderPuff.

According to Schartz, it’s much different than planning for football games.

“It’s definitely been stressful,” Schartz said. “We have everything in place and organized, so I’m pretty confident that it’s going good.”

Although Homecoming incorporated times of old at MHS, it also brought it new traditions that Tribe hopes will continue with Homecoming.

One such tradition was the class chant, which MHS hadn’t done in nearly 20 years according to Tribe sponsor Haleigh Carlson. However, the chant never took off due to the untimely duration of Safety Week.

“We tried to make happen this year, but then the lockdown through off our plans,” Carlson said. “In the winter, we’ll do class chants.”

Along with the challenge of Safety Week, Tribe had to battle the obstacle of decorating for the dance, which they considered to be the most difficult.

“Decorating for the dance is probably the hardest because so much goes into something that is up for like two hours,” Carlson said. “We spend our time on it and it looks really nice.”

Despite the setbacks, Homecoming proved colorful and eventful, adding to student life in ways Tribe is more than proud of.

“We wanted to get people excited for it, excited to dance,” Schartz said. “We just wanted to do something super fun.”