Canvas workshop receives little turnout

McKayla Clarksnodgrass, Photo Editor

Sudden changes in how students receive, complete schoolwork and turn-in assignments has confused many parents interested in supervising their children’s online schooling. 

Last Monday there was an event hosted by Manhattan High to familiarize parents with Canvas.

“I was the one who came up with the idea,” James Neff, coordinator of Multi-Tiered Systems of Support, said. “It stemmed back from the summer when we were working on ideas for the reopening.”

The event was meant to help parents understand the technology that their students were using. Science teacher Clancey Livingston was involved with the event to answer any questions parents may have and walk them through the technology their students are using.

“Our understanding was how rapidly we’ve had to start using new technologies and new services is throwing a lot of parents off,” Livingston said. 

The event didn’t receive the turnout that was expected, as only two people attended the event. This may be due to the way the event was advertised. A message was sent through Infinite Campus, but there wasn’t major advertising. Many students and parents didn’t know about the event.

“I feel like probably there were plenty of people who would have wanted to be at something like that,” Livingston said. 

The organizers wanted to ease the stress of parents and students with this event. Neff hopes to have another event like this in the future, one with more advertisement than this time to avoid receiving the same turnout. 

“I would like to be able to do another one,” Neff said. “Hopefully get a better response.”