Debate takes first at Hayden High

McKayla Clark Snodgrass, Page Editor

The Manhattan High Debate team placed first overall at the Mary Beth McCarthy JV Invitational over the weekend. The team also attended the Lawrence High Debate Invitational that same weekend. These tournaments mark the end of the normal debate season with the upcoming tournaments being the District National Qualifiers, Regionals and State.

Seniors Sam DeLong and Megan Long placed second in the Varsity Division at the Lawrence High Debate Invitational. Junior Joseph Semmel and freshman Ava Bunel went 2-3 in the Junior Varsity Division. Sophomore Jaxon Carey and sophomore Anna Irvine went 3-2 in the JV Division, with Carey dropping one speaker point during the entire tournament. Freshmen Patrick Fu and Ethan Xin went 2-3 in the Open Division.

“It was fun,” freshman Brynn Chua said. “There were only like four rounds so it was very chill.” 

Chua and freshman Kiku Nagai-Velasquez went 2-2 at the Mary Beth McCarthy JV Invitational.

“Basically, [in] our last round, the other team was not the best,” Chua said. “And they didn’t answer like our points or anything…but they still won because the judge didn’t pay attention to my partner.”

Seniors Chase Glasscock and Maverick Aggson placed third at the Mary Beth McCarthy JV Invitational. Freshmen Kennedy Crabtree and Remingtan Hansen took fifth. Freshman Sarah Zhang and sophomore Helinna Bontrager went 3-1. Seniors Alyssa Martinez and Paulo Tolentino went 2-2.

Junior Yeajee Son and sophomore Hannah Lee went 2-2. Freshmen Dahlia Ince and Madysen Silano went 2-2. Freshman William Graff and sophomore Eli Porter went 2-2. Freshman Lukah Martinez and senior Kylie Yaussi went 1-3.

“From what I heard, there was a lot of…wild, new sorts of cases and strategies being run,” head coach Mac Phrommany said. “Which is kind of expected at the end of the year when people are like ‘we’ve been debating a lot of the same arguments, let’s make up some new and novel and weird.’” 

Debate will meet next at the National Qualifying Tournament.