MHS hosts second vaccine clinic

Advith Natarajan, Staff Writer

Manhattan High students were able to receive their COVID-19 vaccinations at both East and West campuses last Wednesday. The clinic provided students and staff members the opportunity to receive either one of the first two shots or the booster, which was recently approved by the CDC for teens aged 12-15 on Jan. 5. The Flu vaccine was also available. 

“It was surprisingly really good,” freshman Kaiser Wymer said. “It was really efficient and [overall] it [was] just good.” 

In total, the clinic served 84 students and staff – East and West campuses combined – a significantly higher turnout than the clinic held last semester, which only saw 20 students. 

“I am very happy [about the attendance at the clinic],” nurse Angela Bird said. “I’m hoping that everybody will start to get vaccinated or get their booster when they are eligible.”

Of the 84 students and staff receiving their vaccine, 77 were given their booster shot. The booster shot is a crucial immunization, as it drastically changes the quarantine requirements for students and staff members. Due to the fact that the antibodies of the first two doses begin to wear off after five months, those without the booster will be required to abide by strict quarantine rules, which includes immediate quarantine if considered a close contact. However, an individual with the booster shot is not required to quarantine if that person is a close contact and only has to isolate if showing symptoms.  

“So the new criteria right now, if you are fully vaccinated and have the booster, you do not have to quarantine unless you start having illness symptoms, [in which case] we would test [for COVID-19],” Bird said. “If you’re not vaccinated, you have to quarantine. If you haven’t received your booster, and it has been five months since your second dose, you have to quarantine.”

For those who weren’t able to receive their shot last week, local pharmacies and grocery stores such as Hy-Vee and Dillons also offer the COVID-19 vaccine by appointment. MHS will host another vaccine clinic on Feb. 16.