Boys Basketball finishes regular Season 12-8

The Manhattan High school boys basketball team ended their regular season 12-8 after a 77-70 win over Hayden on senior night last Tuesday where they recognized Jason Kim, Ian McNabb, Elijah McFadden, Max Stanard, Asher Newcomer and Miles Braxmeyer.

“Ever since we were little some of us have been playing together,”  Kim said, “The friendship we have on and off the court makes it really special to me. Just being able to play with them makes it awesome.”

Manhattan started the game on a hot streak, with Newcomer scoring nine straight in the first three minutes for the Indians, helping them gain a 24-15 lead at the end of the first. MHS stayed hot for the rest of the half as they finished the half shooting 11-of-19 and 14-of-15 from the line giving them a 41-36 lead at the half.

“This team has meant a lot to me throughout high school,” Newcomer said, “It has helped me develop into the player I am today and has given me many friendships that I am very grateful for.”

In the third Hayden looked to have the quarter all about them until Kim had the sequence of his life with a chase down block and a three to follow giving the Indians a change in momentum. Finishing out the third Manhattan had a lead of six 58-52.

In the final quarter Manhattan went on an 11-1 run with the help of a slam form Newcomer giving MHS their largest lead of the night of 14 points. The Indians finished out the game strong as they won 77-70 to finish the regular season 12-8

“We were engaged during practice and followed the game plan well. We need to stay engaged and locked in for Sub-State,” Kim said,  “We also need to know what’s on the line and know who and what we’re playing for.”

“We need to continue to not be satisfied and give 100% on the court,” Newcomer said.

The Indians will play at home against Wichita South at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 28 in the first round of Sub-State.