Swim and Dive place second at League

The Manhattan Indians Girls Swim and Dive team placed second at the Centennial League meet on Thursday in Topeka. The Indians 444 points was a lot more than the third place team Hayden who scored 296, but a lot less than the Washburn Rurals 519 points.

At League, the 200-yard freestyle medley team of junior Samantha Tarter, Ellyn Campbell, sophomore Caris Goering and senior Ruth Perez finished first. The 200-yard medley relay team of freshman Delaney Saucier, Ruth Perez, sophomore Ava McKee, and Samantha Tarter finished second. The 400-yard freestyle medley team of Ellyn Campbell, Ava McKee, Delaney Saucier, Caris Goering finished second.

Individually, Perez finished first in the 100-yard freestyle and 100-yard breststroke. Samantha Tarter finished second in the 50-yard freestyle and in the 100-yard backstroke. Ava McKee finished second in the 200-yard IM.

The League meet was Manhattan’s last opportunity this season to qualify for the State meet Thursday in Kansas City.

MHS has individual three swimmers qualified for the State meet; senior Ruth Perez in the 100-yard breaststroke and 100-yard freestyle, junior Samantha Tarter in the 50-yard freestyle and a consideration in backstroke, and sophomore Ava McKee with a consideration in the 200-yard IM and 500-yard freestyle. Manhattan also has one diver, senior Bre Sanneman. MHS also qualified for three relays.

Thursday is prelims and semis for diving. Friday is prelims for swimming. Saturday is finals for swimming and diving.

Preparation before the State meet is a lot different than how the team prepares normally.

“We just start adjusting the yardage to be less yardage, more rest, and keeping our speed work going,” Head Coach Alex Brown said. “We have done all of the hard work, now it’s time to rest our bodies so we can swim their best at State.”

Swimmers (and divers) have varying experience levels for big meets like State.

“Some kids have been there before and know what to expect, and for some you just got to be ready to go,” Brown said.