SADD hosts annual spring fling

Angie Moss, Business manager

Chili pepper eating contests, face painting, cake walks and raffles were all events that students could participate in at the Spring Fling last Friday.

Students Against Destructive Decisions hosts the event every year to give Manhattan High students a night to participate in fun activities and relax without having to worry about whether or not drugs and alcohol will be around.

“[I think Spring Fling went] pretty good. I don’t think there’s as many people as there were last year because there’s a lot of sports going on,” junior Hannah Craig said. “But I feel like there’s a lot more booths that participated and there’s a lot more adults that were able to come but I feel like it would have been a bigger turnout if there wasn’t as many sports.”

Several other clubs took part in Spring Fling by setting up booths with various activities. The Anime club had a face painting booth, Spanish club had a chili pepper eating contest, Thespians had a photo booth and there were other games that students could play that were run by SADD.

“I think my favorite part was being able to be with [Anime] club and do the painting booth,” sophomore Faithlynn Hoofard said. “I was there for the first half but just hearing all the music and being able to just relax and be with people that I like and being able to just degrade but not have the stress of school at the same time. It was pretty nice to have.”

One of the games that was available to students was laser tag.

“My favorite part honestly would have to be the laser tag,” sophomore Darius Neff said. “It’s just something different that allows people to have fun.”

SADD members had to complete many steps to make Spring Fling run the way they wanted it to.

“We have been preparing for this for a long time,” SADD president Alyssa Frey said. “We had to decide what events we wanted, we had to get other clubs involved so that they would have booths, we had to make sure that we rented the laser tag on time, we had to get a DJ because the DJ from last year couldn’t do it this year so we had to find a new one, we had to figure out how we were going to decorate and we had to get club members to help us all night.”