Club Sign Up Day successful for clubs, officers and students

Tracy Le, News Editor

The bustling sound of footsteps pervaded the air, and databases and stacks of papers teemed with signatures as Club Sign Up Day took over the Commons Area and the East Campus last Wednesday and Thursday, respectively.

“I do think Club Sign Up Day is [effective],” senior Jamera Ewing said. “I think it’s good to see who’s going to be leading the club and you can talk to them if you have questions. People want to know what you want to do and if you have plans, so I like it.”

Last year, Ewing was elected president of Manhattan High’s Black Student Union.

“The point of BSU is basically to educate the school and the community about black people and to break barriers and build bridges,” Ewing said. “We really want to educate others and just get away from the stereotypes that have been placed on us and show people that we are more than just a color. We are capable of great things. I really want to make a difference and influence other black students here [so] it feels great [to be President]. I’ve been in this club for all four years of high school and we haven’t done much so I feel like this is my opportunity to really get us out there and I really want to do stuff. I’m so excited for this year; I’m so happy.”

Senior Ethan Levin has been a member of AFS for over three years now and returned to this year as AFS’s president.

“My freshmen year my sister was in the club and during my sophomore year, we actually hosted a student so that got me really involved in the process,” Levin said. “This club has broadened my view of the world. I’ve gotten to meet people I’ve now been friends with for three or four years…from overseas from different countries like Norway and Denmark. It’s just a really cool experience. [Being AFS President] is certainly a great honor. I’ve very excited about that. I’m very interested in making this club the best it can be.”

Levin believes that Club Sign Up Day has greatly helped AFS attract new members.

“I think everyone can see everything lined up and people can give their speech on whether or not they should join their club,” Levin said. “There are so many different interest groups and activities to be involved in in high school and clubs are a good way to get people interested in doing something in a positive way… We’re doing pretty good [with signatures]. I’m excited.”