Thespians put on Halloween event

Ale Flores, Staff Writer

Last Weekend, the Manhattan High Thespians troupe organized an special event to give something back to the community. In “Trick or Treat So Kids Can Eat” students involved in the drama club were welcome to come at 6 p.m. to divide in groups and go to close-by neighborhoods and ask for food.

“This is a program that started with Thespians in Kansas 20 years ago, that eventually became national, because people liked the idea,” Thespian sponsor Linda Uthoff said.

The purpose of this event is to work together with Flint Hills Breadbasket, a community food network whose mission is to end poverty and hunger.

“We divided into small groups, and went around the neighborhood asking for food for kids that don’t have access to food,” senior Evan Heger said.

Students felt really excited to participate in this charity and have quality time.

“It felt really good to be doing this good deed, in a way that is really fun and we get to dress up,” Heger said

The event seemed to have a great outcome, coming up with about 343 pounds in food that are now going to be donated to hungry kids.

It was really fun,” Uthoff said. “I think they had a great time.”

After two hours of raising food, students came back to the school and had a small party in the drama room where they could listen to spooky music and eat snacks.