JV Scholars Bowl takes first at Jeff West

Andrea Lu, Graphics Editor

The Manhattan High Junior Varsity Scholars Bowl team competed at Jefferson West on Thursday. The meet consisted of five rounds in the pool followed by semifinals and then finals.

“I think we did really good, like, at first I thought it would be a little weird but we had a pretty well-rounded team so it ended up being good,” sophomore Luann Jung said.

With a well-rounded team, MHS was able to perform well and fill in any weak spots, where other members weren’t so proficient.

“Instead of, like, any miscellaneous or foreign language [questions], they had sports which honestly, Stephanie [Fu] and I are not [good in],” Jung said. “So the fact that they had replaced a lot of the questions with sports questions made it a lot harder but we had a freshman who was really good at that.”

During the pool rounds, MHS won all the rounds except for one due to an incorrect math question.

“The answer was wrong and we got it right and we should’ve gotten the point,” sophomore Fu said, “but they threw out the question and they gave another question and then the other team got that one right. So, then we lost that round but in the end it worked out because we won.”

After beating Cair Paravel in the semifinals, the team barely took first place, with a final score of 55 to 50 against Jefferson West.

“There was a three way tie for first in our pool and based on points earned during pool play we took first place,” Scholars Bowl Assistant Coach Tim Ekart said.

As for the Manhattan High Varsity Scholars Bowl team, they would have attended the meet in Washington County this past Thursday but weren’t able to rally enough members to go. Varsity’s next meet will be at Hayden on Jan. 21 and JV’s next meet will be at Junction City on Jan. 25.