Thespians rehearse for “The Tempest”

Ale Flores, Staff Writer

Rehearsals for this year’s spring play have started, and student actors have been working really hard to honor William shakespeare by portraying “The Tempest” the alleged to be last play written by him.

“As any theater production is taking its time but it’s coming together,” junior Wesley Danielson said. “Shakespeare always has been challenging to get it right in order to pronounce right. A lot of people think it is just poetry and they recite it like it is just poetry, but they need to realize there are characters feeling emotions, and they to need to say your lines with emotions.”

So far students participating on the show are working really hard, they are supposed to have all of their lines memorized without their script and afterwards Director Linda Uthoff and Stage Manager Emma Galitzer will start adding technical aspects such as lights, sound and special effects.

“Next week, we will be in dress rehearsals, which means that the actors will gradually add in costumes, makeup and hair,” Galitzer said, “I’m really excited to see the show coming together. As the stage manager, it’s a really crazy time for me, trying to sort out all of the cues in the show and practice calling them, but I really love it.”

Rehearsals happen four times a week from 3:15 to 4:45 p.m. Students barely have time for school, friends and family, but they are happy to do it, because they want the show to end up as good as possible.

“No time for homework, or family is soul crushing,” Danielson said. “But I’m making it work.”

Uthoff has been working really hard to produce this play, and make it look as realistic as possible. She has been advising all of the actors with acting tips to help them portray their characters, the best they can.

“She’s been doing pretty darn well, not really showing any signs of slowing down which is classic Uthoff.”

In “The Tempest,” there is a love story, there is magic and a lot of other variables which make the play great.

“I think it’s going to be really great,” Galitzer said. “All of our actors and techies are talented and dedicated to making this show amazing.”

The show will premiere during the Shake Fest April 21 at 7 p.m. at the Rezac Auditorium.

While freshman Jake Wineland and senior Savannah Smith go over their script, freshman Jordan O'Connell and  junior Wesley Danielson get acting tips from director Linda Uthoff.  Freshman Henry Schinstock, sophomore Erin Hackenberg, sophomore Noah Shirk, freshman Jack Laswell and junior Emma Kellogg observe ready to start receiving advice from Uthoff.
Ale Flores
While freshman Jake Wineland and senior Savannah Smith go over their script, freshman Jordan O’Connell and junior Wesley Danielson get acting tips from director Linda Uthoff. Freshman Henry Schinstock, sophomore Erin Hackenberg, sophomore Noah Shirk, freshman Jack Laswell and junior Emma Kellogg observe ready to start receiving advice from Uthoff.
Thespian sponsor Linda Uthoff gives junior Wesley Danielson and senior Savannah Smith tips and blocking for one of the main scenes for “The Tempest” between Danielson’s character Alonso and Smith’s character Prospera.
Ale Flores