Scholars Bowl works way to top

Karmen Martinie, Staff Writer

With scores of 8-1 at Washburn Rural, 5-4 at Seaman, and 1,090 during the Quest competition,

Scholars Bowl had quite the week with various events that ended in good results.

Seniors Zach Culbertson and Yusuf Cifcti and juniors Noah Shirk and Luann Jung had the opportunity to qualify for the KTWU television quiz show “Quest.” The team scored 1,090 points, which got them to the third place spot and the best score in 6A.

“I thought the Quest team was very good,” coach Ted Dawdy said. “They did a fantastic job. [Culberston] was the only one that had any experience from last year. The format is completely different than usual Scholars Bowl with toss-up and bonus questions.” Cifcti followed that comment with this own. “It was a different format than our usual meets so that made it a little challenging.” Competition was stiff with 42 teams and only 16 that advanced to the actual show. Last year’s Manhattan High team became the champions of Quest for the first time in 19 years.

Last Tuesday, the team went to Washburn Rural where they placed second with an overall score of 8-1. On Thursday, the team headed back to Topeka to go up against Seaman. This meet ended in an overall score of 5-4 in their pool, unfortunately causing the team not to advance.

“We were second in 6A [state] last year and lost some very good kids off that team,” Dawdy said. “We’re going through a process of finding out about ourselves how we compete and see who works best together.” Cifcti is most eager for “competing with friends and knowing we can beat every other team in the state”.

Scholars Bowl competes next Monday at Rock Creek for their final meet of the semester.