J.V. Scholars Bowl hosts home meet; Varsity qualifies for state

Angie Moss, Print Editor in Chief

Last Monday, the J.V. Scholars Bowl team wrapped up their regular season with a home meet. Manhattan High had two teams competing, and both teams occupied the top places in the competition.

“For J.V., I think overall we did really well,” freshman Allen Zhang said. “We were undefeated for all except for two meets, which we got second at. As a team, we progressed quite a bit and we progressed individually as well.”

After hearing about the success of last year’s J.V. team — this year’s Varsity team — they were inspired to live up to the expectations.

“I really wanted to get to the top and obviously we met our expectations,” Zhang said, “and I think we even exceeded them.”

Members of the Varsity team were pleased with J.V.’s performance.

“Although none of the Varsity members, including myself, were in the meet, we expected the underclassmen to perform well,” senior Yusuf Ciftci said. “They did good but missed a question about Ray Bradbury, which was disappointing.”

As for the Varsity team, they competed at Lawrence Free State last Wednesday evening and went 2-5, qualifying them for state.

“Coming out of regionals is tough, but I’m proud of the kids. That’s a task in itself,” coach Ted Dawdy said. “It’s tougher fight to win regionals and make it to state. It’s an accomplishment to make it to state.”

The state competition will be held at Derby High School this Saturday.

“It’ll be interesting,” Dawdy said. “We came out fourth in regionals…it’s a one-question swing each way.”