Black Student Union prepares for second annual poetry slam

Taylor Bullock, Staff Writer

Black Student Union is preparing to hold it’s second annual poetry slam. The club has been getting ready for Black History Month for many weeks now. It’s made flyers, announcements and is ending February with its poetry slam.

“I’m looking forward to hosting the poetry slam and watching everyone perform,” BSU president Adonna Okere said. A lot of hard work went into this program.”

This will be Okere’s last year at MHS and she’s hoping to make it a good one for not only her, but the students in BSU as well.

“I hope to gain a great experience that I can have as a great memory from my senior year,” Okere said.

With the theme being unity, the poetry slam consists of students from different backgrounds and ethnicities, sharing their thoughts on the world through their eyes.

“[My piece] is about unity, not only between each other, but unity between ourselves,” senior Cody Bell said.

Manhattan High School’s students are also a melting pot of cultures, races and beliefs, giving the topic of unity a good place in this year’s poetry slam.

“I hope others, who feel they may be living a double life for whatever reason, can find sense of comfort and unity in themselves,” Bell said.

Though the theme is unity, the poetry slam also consist of poetry about other related topics. Junior, Savannah Cherms, is performing her poem “I Am Not A Poet.”

Cherms was an audience member last year, but is putting forth the effort for performing in this year’s poetry slam.

“I watched the poetry slam last year and wanted to see it happen again,” Cherms said.

The members of BSU are still working out kinks as the day approaches.

“I am preparing by setting up rehearsals, getting the materials I need early, and just relaxing,” Okere said.

The poets are also under some pressure as they pull the last pieces of their performances together.

“I’m looking over my own poem, thinking really hard, getting everything in line for the night,” Bell said.