Drill down enjoyable for students

Tracy Le, Trending Editor

Vibrant waves of color crowded the field at Bishop Stadium as over a hundred Manhattan High band members, colorguards and dancers took their places on the afternoon of Friday, Aug. 1. The students eagerly awaited director Joel Gittle’s marching commands before performing a mock drill down.

“The drill down in particular is something fun but also helps improve our band and make sure it’s successful,” junior Andrea Lu said. “Basically it’s a way to see just how fast you can react to the marching commands he gives you and how focused you are. First, he starts easy making the tempo not as fast and giving you commands and then each round he gradually makes it harder by either upping the tempo or trying to trick you with the commands. Once you get caught messing up, you’re out. It keeps going until one person is left and is declared the winner.”

Lu began taking twirling lessons at a dance studio when she was in fifth grade and is now embarking on her second year of twirling for the marching band.

“There’s a lot to look forward to this year. I feel lots of excitement, but definitely some nerves in trying to do the best that I can,” Lu said.

For freshman Emma Lansdowne, this will be her first year in marching band.

“I really liked the drill down. At first I wasn’t too sure about it, but as the camp went on I got better at it and ended up being the second to last freshman left and being in the top 15 people.” Lansdowne said. ”I thought it was a fun experience to get to know everyone and it really helped me build the fundamentals of marching.”

Lansdowne started playing the alto saxophone in the school band in fifth grade and has loved it ever since.

”I’m very excited for band this year, especially because of the Disney trip, but all around I enjoy advancing my skills on my instrument,” Lansdowne said. ”I hope it’s a fun year and I hope I don’t mess up too much.”

Junior Jennifer Meierer is also looking forward to being a part of the marching band this year. After watching one of the band’s performances, Meierer decided to join the color guard her freshman year.

“I thought it looked really interesting and fun,” Meierer said. “[Now] I love being in the color guard.”

Meierer already has high hopes for this year.

”It was fun to be back with everyone and be back marching again,” she said. ”I feel like this year is going to be really good.”

At the end of the drill down, Gittle spoke to the audience about the upcoming school year, the Disney trip and more.

“You have great kids with great attitudes and that’s going to make our jobs a lot easier,” Gittle said.

By 7:25 the field and the bleachers were empty as the many students and people who came to show their support rushed off to enjoy cake and watermelon.

“Everyone in the band plays such a crucial part whether they’re playing an instrument, colorguard, section leaders or drum majors,” Lu said. “They all work hard to make sure the band is as good as it can be. It’s also great having the opportunity to meet new people that have joined the band.”