SADD closes school year activities with Spring Fling

Taylor Bullock, Staff Writer

As the school year inches to an end, many clubs had their last big bang with the celebration of Spring Fling. Students Against Destructive Decisions had been putting the dance together for a few months now, a project which included recruiting clubs and planning decorations.

Groups such as Student Council put on a green-screen activity while other groups like National Honors Society ran a bean-bag toss. Other clubs ran activities such as pepper-eating contests, karaoke, caricatures and more. SADD also had last year’s Spring Fling D.J. come back for a second time. The club even incorporated laser tag into this year’s dance too.

There were multiple activities for students to do with the south gym also being available for basketball and simply hanging out.

This year’s Spring Fling topped last year’s in terms of the amount of students who came and participated. It was obvious with how fast the food was going.

“It’s the first time in a lot of years that we’ve run out of pizza [and] we’ve run out of water,” drug and alcohol prevention coordinator Keri Humes said.

Speaking of food, Gay Straight Alliance was also there running its snow cone booth. The group incorporated the snow cones into Spring Fling by using the many-colored flavorings to represent the group’s rainbow flag. Even with running from the booth to the dance floor and back, the group still seemed to see the bright side out of the night.

“[Spring Fling] made it very much more enjoyable towards the end [of the school year],” GSA president Cody Bell said. “You know towards the end you’re just like, nah-nah I need to get out of here, Spring Fling’s just that ‘Not yet,’” Bell said.

At the end of the night, SADD gave out 25 gift cards to places such as Chipotle and Starbucks.

The night finished without any reported problems and was a success for SADD.

“I think the highlight was the amount of kids that were there,” Humes said. “I was pretty impressed that people stayed as long as they did and had so much fun.”

For those unsure if they should go to next year’s Spring Fling: ”Do it! You have nothing to lose!,” Bell said. “Go for it! It’s a lot of fun and if GSA continues to do snow cones you’ll always have something more than water and the dance floor.”

Now that SADD has hosted their last big event for the school year, they’ll finish the year off with officer elections for next year.