Thomas Rhett’s ‘Marry Me’ directed flawlessly

Megan Klug, Blue M Editor-in-Chief

Music is undoubtedly a form of storytelling, whether it’s about love, loss or emotion. Thomas Rhett encompasses the role of a storyteller in his latest album, “Life Changes,” where he sings about his life experiences.

One song that has become exceptionally popular is “Marry Me.” The song title is extremely deceiving. While most would think it would mimic the upbeat, happy songs about marriage, like Jason Derulo’s “Marry Me” or Train’s “Marry You,” Thomas Rhett takes listeners by surprise with a heart clenching ballad of being in love with a girl that is getting married.

The music video released yesterday morning. The video captured the story of the song perfectly. As it begins, it shows a young boy and girl who are are best friends. The little boy peeks through the window while the young girl is imitating her wedding.

Then, the video cuts to their high school selves. While he plays football, she stands in the bleachers cheering him on. After the game, they go to a local diner where they nearly kiss before a football player interrupts them.

It then fast forwards to an engagement party for the girl, and the boy walks around sadly. Once the time finally comes for the actual wedding, the boy makes his way to the venue but can not stay due to his untold feelings for the young woman. Right before walking down the aisle, it cuts to the boy sitting in the diner from years ago.

To end the video it shows the what would have been a bride, standing outside the window crying. She had left her own wedding.

The composition of the video is extremely emotional. Executing such a powerful and emotion filled song in a video can be beyond difficult. While watching the video it could easily bring most people to tears.

It is seemingly obvious that Rhett has an emotional connection to the song, and it adds an element of passion and greatness to the video as you can hear the emotion dripping from his voice. In addition, the videography helped portray the journey of the two youngsters.

By using one item in two different shots, and showing the time leap throughout the video, the panning makes it feel like the person watching it is walking right along with them.

It is because of this connection that makes not only the song, but the video an emotional masterpiece. The portrayal of their love and the progression of it causes a personal connection with those that watch it. In return, when watching her seemingly marry someone else, it breaks the heart of whoever is watching it.

The directors of “Marry Me” composed a perfect video to relay the overall message of the song. However, Rhett deserves an abundance of credit for creating such a heartfelt, tear jerking ballad. Fans of Rhett will thoroughly enjoy the purity of the song and video, but even people unfamiliar with his music will find the video to be genuine and heartfelt.