Forensics achieves one breakout at Silver Lake tournament

Kaitlin Clark, Entertainment Editor

The Manhattan High forensics team faced several challenges as they competed at the Silver Lake High School forensics tournament, but still managed to score a victory as two team members progressed to finals.

Sophomores Ivy Auletti and Payton Woods broke into finals with their duo act, “10 Ways to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse,” which was written by Don Zolidis, and finished fourth.

Overall, team members felt that the biggest challenge was trying to keep judges entertained during their performances.

Although only one partner pair made it to finals, team members remained proud of their work.

“The most enjoyable part was performing our piece for the judges and watching other teams perform during finals,” Auletti said.

Forensics tournaments are first and foremost a place where students can perform pieces they have prepared and compete against one another, but it is also an event where teenagers with a common interest can meet and form new friendships with others from across the state.

“The most enjoyable part was probably making friends with people from the other teams,” sophomore Ally Doud said.

Changes will soon be coming to the forensics program as the topic of their debate will shift from plea bargaining to minimum wage.

“[The topic change] means more research and preparing for new cases and scenarios that will be ran against you,” sophomore Aaron Hoff said.

Even though the Silver Lake tournament was not a standout tournament for the Manhattan High team this season, forensics team members were able to learn from their experience and secure a victory.

“This tournament has given my partner Peyton and I a chance to try new things and see what we like and what we don’t,” Auletti said. “I think the forensics program is such a great experience for everyone.”