Manhattan High jam-packs the month of September

Meredith Comas, Online Editor-in-Chief

September is a month filled to the brim with events for Manhattan High. From a Kansas Supreme Court visit, to homecoming, to voter registration all in the same week, there are more than just a couple of events to keep on the radar this upcoming fall.

Supreme Court Visit

The Kansas Supreme Court will visit Manhattan High on Sept. 24 as part of their educational outreach program, holding sessions in the afternoon specific to students as well as holding special sessions open to the public 6 – 8 p.m. in Rezac Auditorium.

According to principle Greg Hoyt, he began talking with his contact at the Supreme Court, Denise Kilwein, as well as the local district judge — a personal friend of Hoyt’s — to set up the visit.

The visit will include open sessions 6 – 8 p.m. in Rezac Auditorium as well a visit from one judge during 6th and 7th hour specific to MHS students. Students in social studies during that time are excused to go; students who do not have social studies during that time must get their teacher’s permission.

“That will be very educational,” Hoyt said. “The rest of [the visit] in terms of… the evening is just [the] general public has an opportunity to see how to Supreme Court interacts.”

Homecoming

According to Tribe sponsor Leslie Finnell, this year’s homecoming theme “True Colors” will incorporate as much color as possible to get the student body involved on the week of Sept. 24.

Tribe will announce spirit day themes through video during advisory next Wednesday.

Aside from spirit days, activities will include the Tribe-hosted pep rally, PowderPuff football and, of course, the homecoming game. The club will also host the annual Homecoming dance on Saturday, admitting students for $5 per person.

“[It’s] full of color,” Finnell said. “It’s going to be inclusive enough for everyone to be involved in spirit days.”

Elections

Students are eligible to vote in the upcoming Nov. 6 election if they have turned 18 prior to the election. Registration forms must be submitted to the Riley County Clerk’s office by 5 p.m. on Oct. 16.

According to Susan Boller, election supervisor for Riley County, those wishing to register will need to go to www.rileycountyks.gov and follow the given prompts.

In-person registration will be available as well. As Sept. 25 is National Voter Registration Day, the League of Women Voters will host a registration booth at Manhattan High for eligible students to register. This nonpartisan-community group will walk students through the registration process.

For further information on voter registration, contact the Clerk’s office at their website or call at (785) 537-6300.