Artist of the week: Isabel Dritz

Michael Simmons, Staff Writer

When did you start?

Freshman year

Why did you choose ceramics?

Ummm ok yea let me think, so I really like working with my hands and making stuff more of like 3D art than 2D and so I took ceramics, well I had done a little bit with it elementary school and then I took it in middle school and then in ninth grade was when I decided that it was something I love and am going to stick with, and then I got a pottery wheel and it kind of took off from there.

[Can you] give me an example of an idea of yours that you thought turned out the best?

The tallest thing i’ve ever made, was this year, I was really excited about it, I made it by stacking six different things that I threw on top of each other, I was super excited about its size, and then I have two favorite pieces that are currently in the library, they’re both flower pots, one of them is white and it has like a stain over it and I love the exterior design on it.

Are there any specific improvements that you plan on making?

I keep working on learning different techniques, so right now we’re doing a serving where project, so right now i’m learning how to throw a bowl inside of a bowl to make a chip and dip platter, and different kinds of handles, I just learned how the other day how to make a baking dish by throwing something and adding the bottom on after.

How did you get better at art?

By finding what I truly enjoy which is throwing and not being disappointed when it doesn’t turn out the way you want because some stuff just doesn’t turn out on the wheel.