‘Peter and the Starcatcher’ wows on opening night

Savannah Cherms, Trending Editor

The classic image of the forever-young boy in green tights got a Manhattan High remodel with the drama department’s production of “Peter and the Starcatcher.” The play tells the background story of how Peter Pan got his name and how his adventure began.

The drama department has been hard at work preparing for their winter performance, and with opening night out of the way, stress starts to melt away from the actors.

“It felt quite nerve-wracking at first but as I settled into the show and then it was less nerve wracking,” junior Sam Clark, who played Peter, said, “until about halfway through when I realized when my voice was going out and it was really hard to keep it under control during the show. At one point I got so nervous that I sweat my mic-tape off my neck so I was having mic troubles, so I was barely keeping it together on stage. But I guess it worked out because I didn’t mess up too bad.”

While for some being on stage was a completely natural process, others were experiencing their first taste of being the star.

“I have never been on the stage before so having an opportunity to be a lead and be up there and have really funny scenes and interact with the other actors was really fun,” junior Jordan Hayden said. Hayden played the role of Mrs. Bumbrake. “It was something I’ve never really done before and I was so nervous. I was sick to my stomach beforehand and as soon as I got on stage it was one of those things where at first it’s really difficult and you’re really scared and then you’re like ‘Yeah let’s do it, I’m ready.’”

Hayden has been involved in the MHS theater program since his sophomore year, but has been primarily a behind-the-scenes star.

With the passing of the opening night, performers and technical crew alike can begin to experience the real fun of being on stage.

“I was kind of nervous but now that I know the jokes are funny and now that we’re in the swing of things and we have this adrenaline going I think we can power through the next few shows,” senior Adelaide Bliss, who plays Molly, said.