Artist of the Week: Alison Clauss

Micheal Simmons, Staff Writer

How did you start your art career?

“Well I’ve just kind of like doodled on assignments so, I didn’t really start getting serious about my art work until sophomore year when I realized that I needed to be more serious in order to even get into any art program that I want to do instead of just doodling on my own.”

When you first started out what was the easiest thing for you to do?  

“The easiest thing for me was just picking out the color schemes that I wanted to put out there and represent the way I wanted the art piece to feel. Colors have always just kind of have come to me naturally. Probably the hardest thing though would actually be getting forms down, especially the human form, I had a lot of issues with solid forms.”

When you first started out give me a description of how you felt about your artwork?

“I felt like I was behind on everyone, because everyone who was on that art path was already ahead of me than where I was, I’m catching up but I felt a little behind.”   

Have you seen improvement since you’ve started?

“Oh definitely. Before I couldn’t draw, when I first started drawing my hands looked like sausages, and now they actually look like hands.”

Can you give me a description of your best work?

“My best work that I think I did was a colored pencil piece, and it’s a blue person, a generic face, holes for eyes and mouth, no nose, and they’re crying and holding onto their head, and there are faces above them mad, happy but they’re all a negative emotion spilling out orange goo from their  mouth and on top of the person that’s crying and it’s supposed to represent the overwhelming of other people’s emotions.”

Going forward from right now, what improvements do you plan to make?

“I still have a lot of issue with human anatomy so I’m going to work on that a bunch. I want to try to incorporate some animals into my art work, so I’m not very good at some animals, like dogs so I’m going to work on that, but also getting my thoughts together because a lot of pieces are emotional, so trying to portray that emotion into art is something that I’m going to work on more.”

Why this type of art?

“Mainly because it’s what I do when i’m at home, when I’m not feeling happy, or I am really happy and I just want to let that emotion out, so I doodle, I usually like doing little cartoons, but since I need to have serious pieces, I do my actual emotions into that art because it’s just a way for me to vent, and that’s what art has always been to me, just a way to let out everything in a easier way instead of just like letting it out like physical, just a more calm way to let out my emotions.”

What sets you apart from other artist?

“The fact that I’m a senior and I’m trying to figure out just where I stand in the art world I have a lot more areas to branch out into, whereas a lot of other seniors and juniors, they kind of already know where they want to be with their artwork I’m still trying to figure out where exactly I want to push my style, the way I draw, the way I paint, I’m still trying to learn that.”