PSAT reform makes MHS history

Meredith Comas, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, for the first time in Manhattan High history, all MHS sophomore students were required to take the Preliminary SAT, or PSAT, during a three hour testing period in Rezac Auditorium.

The PSAT is a national standardized test that includes subjects like reading, math and science. It’s goal is to help prepare students for the ACTs or SATs.

In past MHS years, the test has been completely optional to students, and while a great many of students choose to take the test, there are always some who oppt not to take the test. Students who have not taken the test tend to become overwhelmed when it comes time for ACTs or SATs, and this has become an increasing concern for administrators.

“We decided that, knowing some students had never taken a standardized test before they get to the ACT, and knowing a lot of times students are very nervous having to take a test like the ACT for the first time because they’ve just never done anything like that, we decided that we wanted to have all sophomores, as many as we could, experience taking this exam,” sophomore administrator Angie Messer said.

The PSAT mainly shows students where their weaknesses and strengths lie, giving them a look at certain career path aptitudes. This helps in course selections and plans of study for students throughout thier high shool carrers.

“It [the PSAT] gives them [students] the potential they would have in certain AP classes.” Senior Academic/Post-Secondary Counselor Tony Wichmann said.

The PSAT also gave sophomores an idea of what the setting would be like for future exams. The content of the test is determined by college board, and mimics the structure of the ACT or SAT.

“It gives them a little bit of practice of what they need to do to take that SAT, PSAT, or even the SAT in the future,” Wichman said. “It is a national assessment so it gives them all that feedback, a little bit of practice for the future.”

The PSAT has made history this year at MHS. Preparing sophomore students for their future and guiding them in the study path for them, MHS is making a start towards college preparedness in our school.