Forensics pulls through in small tournament

Elizabeth Alexander, Features Editor

No matter the size of a tournament, Manhattan High School’s forensics team always puts forth their best efforts. This past weekend, the team travelled to Silver Lake High School to compete against other regional high schools in their comparatively smaller forensics tournament. Despite the size, looking at the turnout of competitors, students put forth their best efforts and skills to take place in finals. MHS succeeded once again in five separate events.

In the junior class, Lily Colburn placed first in international extemporaneous and fourth in impromptu. In the freshman class, Ivy Aluetti placed second in dramatic interpretation and fifth in prose interpretation, and Victoria Arnold placed fourth in poetry interpretation.  Throughout this year’s season, there has not been a single tournament in which a freshman did not land themselves in the final round in various events.

“This tournament was pretty small, but it was still pretty competitive,” Colburn said. “My final speech was about the Trans-Pacific partnership and how it affects small South-Eastern economies. That was a really interesting speech to give.”

Many forensics students find the class to be a great way to express oneself through public speaking. Even though tournaments tend to be a competitive environment, many competitors are more excited to be able to express what they’re passionate about. While the emotional factor is often given the spotlight, it’s also often emphasized on how the class improves one’s public speaking and argumentative skills, which are seen as good life skills.

Freshman and novices are always encouraged to join the class for this reason. While it’s known to be quite a bit of work and research, many students find it to be worth it with the skills that they gain from it.

“I feel like the debate and forensics community has over the past year gotten a lot closer,” Colburn said.