Intramural championship makes for high-energy games

Mira Bhandari, Copy Editor

Without traditional coaching or practices, self-motivation and enthusiasm for Manhattan High’s Intramural basketball championship were a vital part of the game. The championship resulted in an extremely close victory for the Tater Tots, who defeated the opposing team, Dunks Unlimited, 43-42.  

“I feel like our team was very good altogether,” senior Tristan Swanson said, “especially communication-wise. We knew there would be other good teams so we had to play good all of the time.”

According to Swanson, his team was at its strongest during the playoffs.

The championship showcased the abilities of students from various athletic backgrounds. At MHS, Intramurals served as a way for students to engage competitively with their peers, and even win a T-shirt in the process.

“I feel like personally I played well,” senior Wesley Grogan said. “[Dunks Unlimited] made it all the way to the finals and lost the last game by one point so I would say we competed well.”

Grogan says that the energetic atmosphere Intramural basketball provided is worth spreading to other athletics at MHS.

“Intramural really helps me stay in shape and allows me to channel my competitive nature into athletics during the off-season,” he said.

Aside from the athletic value of participating and the level of competition, the game was also a high-spirited environment for the players and the crowd.

“It’s a really fun atmosphere, no pressure, but still very competitive and full of energy,” Grogan said. “It’s just a lot of fun and really enjoyable for the average person to play in.”