Manhattan Varsity Football wins five straight

Cole Schmitt, Staff Writer

Varsity Football (5-0) dominated the Emporia Spartans (2-3) 41-14 in the annual Homecoming game. MHS will move on to defend Silver Trophy.

“We came out and our defense played really well,” head coach Joe Schartz said. “We were very concerned with Emporia coming in with their quarterback being able to run and throw. Overall, both sides of the ball the first half, we executed our game plan very well.”

Manhattan started very strong putting up 35 in the first half while shutting out Emporia. Senior running back Kevontae McDonald had himself a night with four rushing touchdowns, three of them coming in the first half alone. Senior running back Jaylynn Liggons had two rushing touchdowns including a 90-yard rushing touchdown in the second quarter. It replicated the one he scored from last week against Washburn, an 84-yard rushing touchdown.

“We are based off of getting off the ball hard the whole game,” running back Javon Peoples said. “Every play [we] go hard and we gain yards almost every run.”

Sophomore quarterback Dayne Aschenbrenner had some completions including 25 yards in the first quarter.

Defense once again did very well. Junior BJ Young had one interception that helped score the drive after. Although the defense impressed, the third quarter wasn’t the best.

“It was unfolding right before your eyes,” Schartz said. “The kids weren’t performing well and Emporia was putting points up on the board.”

MHS soon scored another touchdown in the third quarter thanks to McDonald that would put the game away.

Manhattan (5-0) will move on to take on Junction City (3-2) next Friday for the Silver Trophy.

“For us to continually be successful we have to keep grinding everyday in practice,” Peoples said. “No days off. DMGB means ‘don’t matter, get better’ so whoever we have beat the week before, it doesn’t matter. We have to come back to practice the next week and get better to beat the upcoming opponent.”