Girls Varsity Cross Country takes first in league

Sophia Comas, Sports Editor

The Manhattan High Cross Country team did well in their Centennial League meet on Saturday, Oct. 13, where the girls varsity team placed first and the boys Varsity team placed second.

The team pushed through to the finish line despite the bad weather and the cancellation of their previous meet at the Haskell Invitational in Lawrence.

“The girls dominated. They put four in the top five, all seven medaled,” Susan Melgares, head coach, said. “[They] won for the ninth straight year. Boys ran tough but Washburn got out to a quick start and we couldn’t cover it.”

While the boys struggled with the intensity of the race, they showed nothing but dedication as first place was snatched by sophomore Daniel Harkin — top-ranked in state — followed by fellow Varsity members junior Matthew Pickering and sophomore Gavin Erickson.

The girls team saw even more success as they took first place with an overall score of 24 points, taking a 45 point lead from Seaman High. Led by senior Clara Mayfield, the team saw victory as junior Ella Rosenkranz quickly followed along with senior Emily Keeley in fourth and fifth.  

The team’s success came with a series of bad weather, with conditions that were slightly tough to run in. Despite the setback, both teams persevered.

“Times were a little off because of wet and muddy conditions,” Melgares said. “Boys should have a chip on their shoulder. Girls should have confidence. Both could be a benefit.”

As the team celebrates the win, they are also working towards their goal of dominating at regionals, which is scheduled to take place in Warner Park Saturday.

“The Regionals goal is to qualify for state, the top three teams,” Melgares said. “State is a podium finish for the top three.”

While the team practices to accomplish these goals, they also dwell on their successes as a reminder for what they’ve gained throughout the season.

“Overall, it was a good day for Running Tribe,” Melgares said.