Girls tennis finishes season

Hannah Heger, Features Editor

Manhattan High School girls varsity tennis finished the season with a sixth place win at state with Blue Valley North placing first, Shawnee Mission East placing second and Blue Valley placing third.

After competing at league and regionals, sophomore Kalya Lei placed 12th in one singles, while she previously placed second at regionals and also at league at Seaman. She played against many high schools such as Mill Valley, Washburn Rural, Shawnee Mission North West, Lawrence Free State and Olathe North. Along with Lei, juniors Joanna Park and Kira Schartz previously placed runner up at regionals and Champion Doubles team at league and placed  eighth in one doubles at state.

They played against Leavenworth, Blue Valley North, Washburn Rural, Blue Valley and Lawrence Free State.

“I think they were satisfied,” said Tony Ingram, head coach. “It’s never easy to go and compete at the high level they have there. Over all I think they’re happy with their finishes and their year as a whole.”

Even after their games at the state the team is already preparing during their off season. The team will focus on certain points for both doubles and singles.

“[Serving] finishing shots, serving being more consistent be more aggressive at the net and then for singles just working on,” Ingram said. “Working on completing scoring shots and of course being more consistent there things like that.”

With that in mind the team sets off for a summer of preparation and training to place higher at state next year.