Music department has success in weekend festivals

Members+of+the+pit+perform+in+the+rain+during+the+band+festival.+The+Manhattan+High+School+Big+Blue+Marching+Band+participated+in+the+annual+band+festival%2C+there%2C+they+were+judged+and+awarded+a+score+for+their+performance.+

Photo by Ayden Boyles

Members of the pit perform in the rain during the band festival. The Manhattan High School Big Blue Marching Band participated in the annual band festival, there, they were judged and awarded a score for their performance.

Sophia Comas, Sports Editor

The Manhattan High music department had a jam-packed weekend full of events as the Marching Band participated in the Central States Marching Festival at Kansas State University on Oct. 6 along with two festivals performed by the MHS orchestra. Both groups beat the bad weather and persevered through the rain with the marching band earning an overall score of a one.

“It was cold and wet but considering those circumstances we were all pumped,” Elora Neff, junior, said. “There was a mixture of emotions of being excited and nervous.”

Those nerves weren’t exactly washed out by the rain. Because of the continued predicament, the group followed through with the event’s contingency plan of practicing inside, although their day clinic had to be canceled.

According to Mizuki Ansano, junior, the biggest disappointment was not being able to see the KSU Marching Band and not being able to receive their expertise before performing. However, the group went out and did their best, showing their talent and skill as well as their ability to adapt to the circumstances.

“It showed us how much we improved since band camp and the beginning of the year,” Ansano said. “It also proved that we can get a show together with a whole week of rain in the middle of learning it and that the rain can’t change our energy level.”

Despite their success, some aspects of the festival were not as enjoyable. Being soggy and cold proved the least exciting, contributing to extreme discomfort throughout the performance.

“We were just ready to get the performance over with,” Neff said.

After their performance, the band could only describe the festival as a success. According to Joel Gittle, director, the judges were very proud of the sound they produced even after “the skies opened up.”

“They went into the field and performed wonderfully,” Gittle said. “They captured the crowd as they often do but we were soaked by the end.”

The rain filled weekend proved more than successful for the music department as the band and their fellow musicians in the MHS orchestra participated in festivals in the same weekend. First to play in “Art in Motion” at the Beach Museum and then again at “Harmony In the Hatt” hosted by the Manhattan Nonviolence Initiative, the orchestra followed suit in successful playing. They offered a unique sound to a unique audience, showing the skills they’ve accumulated.

“This music festival programs very different types of music groups in efforts to attract a very diverse audience,” Nate McClendon, orchestra director, said. “The goal is to bring together different sectors of the community for simple interaction.”

The orchestra did just that during their performances, as well as giving themselves adequate time to practice before they go on tour with Kansas Wesleyan University in two weeks.

Both the marching band and the orchestra will continue to practice for future events as well as celebrating their successes from these ones. The band is specifically looking forward to the rest of the season and making their best sound through the experienced they gained at the festival.

“Everytime we perform is good for the band because at festival we are performing for other bands and a crowd that is there to see bands. That’s always fun,” Gittle said. “Our band benefits greatly by going to festival because it motivates them to work hard every day.”