Football takes Regional championship title

Senior+Kevontae+McDonald+runs+the+ball+in+for+the+extra+point+at+the+Nov.+2+Manhattan+High+School+Varsity+football+game.+The+Indians+played+against+Wichita+Southwest+beating+them+36-25.+

Photo by Hailey Eilert

Senior Kevontae McDonald runs the ball in for the extra point at the Nov. 2 Manhattan High School Varsity football game. The Indians played against Wichita Southwest beating them 36-25.

Cole Schmitt, Staff Writer

Manhattan High Varsity football (9-1) defeated Wichita West (6-4) by a score of 36-25 to win the Regional Championship. The Indians will move on to face one of the best teams in Kansas in the third round of the playoffs.

“The most successful part of this team is the brotherhood we have,” senior captain Brady Flint said. “I truly believe the seniors are the best group of seniors MHS has had in many years. I, no doubt in my mind, [believe] all of us are willing to lay it all out on the line for the guy beside him.”

Manhattan played very well in the first half of the game. The defense came ready to play as they held Wichita West to only twelve points in the first half. Also, the offense was very consistent when scoring and put up a 29-point cushion.

At half Manhattan was very confident and everyone was fired up. In the second half the offense scored only seven points. This meant the defense had to step up a little bit and they did just that. The defense managed to hold Wichita West to only 13 points in the second half giving Manhattan the win.  

On offense, senior Kevontae McDonald led in rushing with 22 carries for 133 yards and three touchdowns. Sophomore quarterback Dayne Aschenbrenner completed five of seven pass attempts for 119 yards and one touchdown pass. Senior Jaylynn Liggons had a receiving touchdown and a 94-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.

On defense, junior Nathaniel Hanson and senior Raeshon Moore had interceptions while the defense had a blocked punt as well.

“We made plays in all three phases,” head coach Joe Schartz said.

Manhattan High Varsity football (9-1) will travel to Lawrence this Friday to face off with one of the best football teams in Kansas — Lawrence Free State (10-0). Lawrence Free State has scored 50 or more points in half of their games this year and is out scoring opponents 460-115.

“We have to have a great week of preparation,” Schartz said. “Lots of focus and determination throughout the whole team. It’s our first road game in a few weeks so we will have to load the bus and still be focused on our goal.”