MHS Varsity boys soccer finishes the season with two wins

Kris Long, Staff Writer

Manhattan won both of their home matches last week to finish the season. The first match was on senior night, Wednesday Oct. 17 at bishop stadium game against Junction City.  They won 10-0 against JC ended the game early in about the 43’ minute, in Kansas if you are ten goals ahead of the other side it is an automatic win by forfeit from the other team.

The game against Junction City was senior night, though it was not the last game of the season, because of this all of the seniors started the game. Mitch Hutchinson, senior starting forward, did not play because of injury.

Within the first 20 seconds of the game Max Lansdowne, senior starting forward, scored.

The team went on to score seven more goals, eight in total, in the first half. Lansdowne had two more in the first, other goal scorers include a brace for Parker Holborn, senior forward, a goal for senior center back Rafa Cuevas from a penalty kick earned by Hunter French, junior starting forward, and a goal for senior center back Brendan Mummert off a corner and a goal by French. French scored two more at the beginning of the second half to end the game.

Lansdowne broke the record for career goals on Wednesday, previously 42 lifted to 43 and then 44 after scoring three against JC and then another in Thursday’s game against Shawnee Heights. Goals towards this record only include goals scored while playing on Varsity, Lansdowne played on Varsity from the time he was a sophomore, however, he was injured during his sophomore season so only scored two goals. The 44 goals are mostly a combination of goals from his junior and senior years.

“I was expecting to break [the record] tonight, I was talking with Frank [Alonso, head Varsity coach] and he said he was expecting me to break it.” Lansdowne said

The former holder of the title was Austin French, The older brother of Hunter French, one of the leading scorers for the team who is a junior this year.

The match on Thursday was one of the closest matches of the season. It was won by only one goal, scored by Lansdowne in the 35’ ending the game 1-0. The goal was built up in midfield, Lansdowne ran down the left side and put a cross in to Carter Wiens, junior starting midfielder, who passed it back to him to put in. With that assist Wiens broke the school record of assists made in a season, previously 17 now 18. The second half was scoreless.

Manhattan high has a clean sheet streak of seven games and has only had ten goals scored against them the entire season.

“That speaks volumes of our defense and of whole team really because it’s not just four defenders and a goalie it’s everyone on our team defending.” Seth Yurgel, assistant Varsity coach, said. “I was very happy and impressed with our performance all around this season… We went 14-2 which I feel is pretty impressive milestone.”