Swim and Dive meet hosted at Topeka

Anika Nyp, Staff Writer

Manhattan High School’s boys swim team missed out on second place at their first meet by a single point.

The swim and dive team went to the Capitol Federal Natatorium in Topeka for their very first swim meet last Wednesday.

“We got third at the meet but we lost to Washburn Rural by one so it would have been good to beat them,” senior Parker Holborn, captain, said. “A lot of relays did well in the in the beginning.”

Not only did swimming do well but senior diving captain Zane Kohl got first place, qualifying for state. He has got his eyes on the prize and is focusing on winning state. In addition, his teammate Brandon Spielman, a junior from Clay Center who swims with the MHS team, qualified for state in the 50-meter free. Relay teams for the medley and 200 free also qualified.

“Just trying to make it [time] shorter so we can possibly place in our [200] relay,” Chris Bedros, sophomore, said of his new goal now that he’s part of a state-qualified team.

A lot of guys also set personal records since time trials.

“I PR-ed in both of my events,” Holborn said.

The team members now hope that times will enhance the competitive spirit to get a better time for the newcomers and set a new goal to beat for the next meet for all the athletes.

Their next meet will be at home at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow in the Kansas State Natatorium.