Manhattan High’s BSU informs on their new Step team

Chloe Henderson, Staff Writer

Manhattan High has recently added a Step team to the Black Student Union club, which is optional to participate in.

Stepping, or step-dancing, is a form of dance where the person uses their entire body to create music. BSU’s president of two years, senior Greg VanDyke, said that stepping was added in hopes to add unity and to give high school students a chance to find themselves in a group as well as further their understanding of their culture.

“We wanted to [have a step team] last year.” says VanDyke “we wanted to make a name for ourselves, every year brings new kids we want them to feel unified”

“[Stepping] originated in Africa and, from what I was told, was brought about because of things being limited. Like, there was no guitars or anything like that back then, so African people make time with their body,” senior Amani Rockett said.

As this is the team’s first year and they are still getting the hang of things, they won’t be doing any competitions. However, they hope they can develop to a point where everyone is confident and united enough to compete.

“I want to boast united and allow students to be comfortable joining a club”

“[Adding a step team to BSU has] brought [members] closer together and made [members] feel more comfortable around each other,” sophomore Tamayia Washington said.

Though a date is not currently set for a performance from the team, Rockett says there is a possibility of them performing on Feb. 26 at their annual poetry slam held in the Little Theatre at West Campus.

“The most important thing I want people to know about BSU as a whole is our group is here to encourage diversity in our school and advocate for black students as well as create a safe space for them,” Rockett said.

One of the Step team’s many goals is to be heard, to shine.

“For BSU’s stepping team, I want people to know that we have a voice, that when we do step, your gonna hear us,” Rockett said. “Let me elaborate on that for those that might not understand, stepping isn’t just making beats. It’s a part of culture, my culture. It’s a way people say things without words and sometimes with, I feel like there is a message and I feel like our message for our Step team is: We are here, and we want you to listen.”