Art students enter pieces to contest

Meredith Graves, Junior Photo Editor

This year several Manhattan High School art students have entered into the MLK Show and the Early Expressions Art Show. Though all the art has been judged and scored the MLK show will take place on Jan. 19 at the Manhattan City Building and the Early Expressions show will be on Feb. 6 at the Beach Museum.

The art classes taught by one of the art teachers, Sonda Copeland, including Drawing and Painting 2, Drawing and Painting 3, AP Art Studio and Jewelry have entered several projects to the contests. Copeland’s classes have recently been finishing up the year with acrylic paintings, ink portfolios, stained glass windows, metal jewelry rivet pieces, and pencil drawings.

One of Copeland’s students in her jewelry class, junior Abbey Shaneyfelt, entered a stained glass window into the Early Expressions show and won best of 3D pieces. She finished this piece last year but still entered it into this year’s contest. The window took about two months to make. Shaneyfelt has been into art ever since she was little and continued this hobby in high school by taking around four art classes throughout her high school career.

Another best of show winner is Ashley Savage 12 but her piece was instead 2D. This piece was entitled “Schizophrenia”. This piece was done in charcoal pencils. She also entered a piece which was a self portrait of herself drawn to look like it was made of puzzle pieces. Savage, like Shaneyfelt, has been doing art all off her life but took several art courses in high school.