Debate end season with varsity highs from junior pairs

Meredith Comas, Online Editor-in-Chief

The debate season for Manhattan officially ended last Saturday at Garden City, with the team taking high marks for juniors Trinity Brockman and Will Bannister at the T-Speaker KASHAA Debate tournament.

“The weekend was really fun and a great experience for the team,” Bannister said. “We were able to wrap up the season by doing a lot of different events together.”

Brockman and Bannister, who have competed in debate since freshman year, have been steady competitors all season long. However, their breakthrough at state has set the stage for next year’s competition season.

The pair went 5-1 out of six preliminary rounds, making them the fifth top team in the out rounds and double octofinals — the elimination rounds comprised of the top 16 debate teams or top 16 debaters. Losing on a split decision (2-1) in their double octofinals lost them a chance at state championship, but, after being seeded into the final bracket, placed them as the fifth seed out of 32 teams.

“It was a really big accomplishment for [Bannister] and I as juniors,” Brockman said, “It’s really rare for a two-junior team to break into out-rounds.”

According to Bannister, this not only raised the profile for the pair — making them targets for case trading, or telling the argument to the opponent, in the future — but also has allowed fellow debaters in the league to see them as a “true threat.”

However, head coach Mac Phrommany expressed a feeling in pride in the pair not just as competitors, but as successful students.

“It’s not just them fighting for trophies, it’s them fighting for this team and that’s awesome,” Phrommany said.

While debate is over, MHS Forensics will pick up Jan. 25 and 26 at Shawnee Heights