Proposed 2019-2020 bell schedule to shorten school year

Sophia Comas, Sports Editor

In light of the bond referendum passing, the district has found itself needing to change aspects of the daily schedule for the 2019-2020 school year in order to make accommodations for construction.

To provide those extra days, administration has been asked to increase the length of each constructional day by 15 minutes. According to principal Greg Hoyt, the additional minutes will decrease the school year by six days.

“We are told how much time to add to each day, then I try to add that time distributed equitably among all class periods,” Hoyt said.

The proposed change will include adding two minutes to each period on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays along with five minutes on block days with the exclusion of advisory and fifth hour. The necessary changes should not affect the overall goings-on of the day.

All of the changes are meant to allow more time for the building renovations to occur without disrupting class sessions. According to the referendum, the construction will include a complete restructuring of A hall to allow more space for the incoming freshmen, who will be moving to West Campus permanently once the renovations are complete. This construction will take place during the summer after the 2019-2020 school year.

As to the new school day schedule, the time change would change release time from 2:50 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. and each regular day schedule would provide 54 minutes of class time per period instead of the current class period length.